The Schürch Family Association of North America


flag10Schürch Heritage Tour 2013Cownewfade200

September 29 to October 8


Tour Photos

Cousins gathered in Liberty International Airport, New Jersey for their overnight flight to Zurich. Upon arrival were met by the tour guide Hildrun Mathies, whom we had on the 2007 tour. After checking in to the hotel a walking tour of Zurich was next. The tour included Zurich’s Limmat River area through the narrow streets and passages of the Altstadt or Old Town, as well as historic Fraumunster and Grossmunster churches. Located at the northern end of Lake Zurich, the town has been inhabited for as long as 2,000 years.The following day the group headed off first to the Täuferhöhle Anabaptist Cave at Homestead Holenstein near Baretswil where they were met by adjacent farm-owners Jurg and Barbara Schoch-Jenni. After a long, sometimes-steep hike to the cave there was a brief worship service where early Anabaptists held secret services under a sometimes cascading waterfall. Then it was off to the lovely town of Lucern along Lake Lucern where all were impressed with the plethora of frescos on numerous buildings, especially those of the guilds, and in the covered bridge. Swans on the lake completed the picturesque view.

Wednesday began with a scenic drive through the Brunigassstrasse with twisting roads, numerous tunnels, breathtaking views of valleys, green hillsides, waterfalls and lakes. Arriving at the Ballenberg Open Air Museum, the North American tourists were guided through only a handful of the 100 examples of regional buildings in Switzerland. Next it was off to the town of Faulensee for a short cruise on Lake Thun where sights included the stunning Alpine range and hillside vineyards. After arriving in Thun, the group enjoyed a visit to Thun Castle built between 1180 and 1199. Guides, Monica Naef and Elizabeth Metter provided expert descriptions of the priceless tapestries among other items in the Museum.

Moving ever closer to Sumiswald, the next day began by visiting the delightful town of Langnau. Time was spent at the Langnau Mennonite Church, the oldest continuously operating Mennonite church in the world. The congregation has about 300 members and still maintains a well-hidden baptismal fount under the floor of the pulpit. The still hidden baptismal honours the secret baptism Anabaptists had to maintain in the past. The group enjoyed walking through the large tidy cemetery and seeing familiar names of current living European and North American Mennonites. A visit to the Culture Museum, the oldest building in the region with exhibition space in 26 rooms, provided a look at an extensive collection of Alt-Langnau ceramic and Flüehli glass. After lunch, the bus continued to the homestead of preacher Hans Haslibacher, last Anabaptist martyr to be beheaded in Bern on October 20, 1571. The Haslibacher family has owned the farm for 15 generations.

Arriving in the Sumiswald area, the group spent the next four nights at the ridge-top Hotel-Restaurant Luderenalp with its magnificent views of valleys and mountains on both sides with the longest log bench in the world made from a single tree. The famous Swiss cowbells of cattle grazing the nearby hills nightly serenaded those with rooms on the south side of the hotel. Dinner was a banquet at the famous Gasthof zum Kreuz, Sumiswald. Originally built as early as 1664, the building is one of the largest wooden structures in the region.

AipButton

Friday, October 4, was a key day for the tour as Canadian and American Schürchs first hiked to the ruins of Grunenberg Castle, near Melchnau, where Hans Schürch and his heirs were released from serfdom on September 27, 1544. Franz Schürch and Christian Ickler provided an extensive explanation of the castle’s history.

The next stop was the Affoltern Show Dairy, Affoltern to witness the process of Emmental cheese making. Lunch at the dairy – delicious fried potatoes (rössti), ham, cheese, and fried egg – or cheese fondue – was accompanied by spontaneous entertainment from Walter Schürch. After lunch the group divided among three rössli (horse drawn) wagons for a leisurely trip through the woods outside Weier and up the roadway to visit Upper and Lower Schürchtanne.

Upper Schürchtanne is the region’s oldest Schürch ancestral property, having been given to Hans Schürch after he was freed from serfdom in 1544 but dates at least from 1425. The homestead is associated with codes C, E, H and N, having been the birthplace of Caspar Schürch who married Margaret Trüssel. Hosts included Hans and Elsabeth Jost as well as Fritz Geissbühler at Upper Schürchtanne. Ida Kohler and daughter-in-law Susann Kohler hosted the tour at Lower Schürchtanne, which was sold off to Peter Stalder in the late 17th Century. Walking between the two farm properties, the group saw the field of herbs, which are sold to the Ricola Company.

At the end of the exhilarating bus trip down the narrow winding road, the tour arrived at the Schürch hometown of Sumiswald! First was a visit to the Sumiswald Reformed Church, where many Schürchs were either voluntarily or involuntarily baptized. According to guide René Schürch, the church was originally built between 1510 and 1512 only to be destroyed by fire in 1730. Following was a brief stop at the site of the Schürch Homestead Tannhuser. The day also involved a walk through the woods to the Taufer Cemetery at Eierwald. The secret location, said to be the final resting place for many Schürchs among other Anabaptists, was necessary as the Swiss authorities forbad marked graves in cemeteries unless baptized according to the Reformed Church dictates. Sadly, the remote location is entirely unmarked and clearly seen better days as Mother Nature is reasserting her dominance.

The next stop was the homestead of Hans Schürch at Oberer Steg that was was built in the year 1806 by Hans Schürch, 1781-1860, and Maria Ryser. Isaac Schürch, the father of Hans Schürch, and Hans Schürch, his grandfather, were both born and raised at Tannhuser. The farm Oberer Steg was used by the Schürch family to grow tobacco during the first half of the nineteenth century. However, this business failed in bankruptcy, and the farm was lost to the family in 1853.

Overlooking the lovely Schonegg Valley, Fritz and Esther Egli, current owners, hosted their North American visitors to a delicious outdoor lunch. The treats included some popular homemade Swiss pastries with the recipe shared with tour member Robin Kenagy. Esther graciously opened her home so the visitors could walk through a typical Swiss Emmental house. The master bedroom featured a unique décor of dozens of cowbells proudly won by Fritz in cattle shows through the years. As the case with all the hosts, the tour was warmly welcomed.

AipButton

Moving closer to the conclusion of the heritage tour was the Family Banquet at Hotel Landgasthof Bären, Sumiswald on Saturday evening. Invited guests included the Swiss Family Association, SGNS. A special guest was Mayor Caspar Waber, who welcomed all with a speech including an apology for wrongdoings to Schürchs in the past.

Oergelifamilie Leuenberger and Heimatgruppe Mirchel provided traditional entertainment. Cousin Kurt Schürch joined the family music by playing the broomstick and also helped the Oergelifamilie Leuenberger family sons in an exhibition of Swiss-style wrestling! Reciprocating, the tourist contingent sang from the hymn, “Gott is die Liebe” in English and German as well as a few North American folk songs.

The last full day in the Sumiswald area before leaving for Bern, was Sunday, with a fitting service at the Täuferloch Anabaptist worship site in the Kurzenei Valley east of Wasen. The exact location was a long walk through a saddle shaped feature during rather damp weather to a site well isolated with a very steep bluff on one side and tall, near perfectly cylindrical shaped mound flanking the opposite side of the small worship site.

Back on the bus, the tour continued to the Gsang homestead of Casper Schürch and Margaret Trüssel, birthplace of sons Ulrich Schürch, code E, and Jacob Schürch the father of Ulrich Schürch, code N. The homestead is now owned by Uli & Rosa Baugartner-Eggimann. It is located high above the valley overlooking the town of Hambuhl and homestead of the Grundbachs on the opposite hill, where the Maria Grundbach was born and later became the wife of Ulrich, Code N.

Fittingly, the next site visited was the birthplace of Ulrich, Code N, Stagmatt, home of Jacob Schürch and Barbara Brand. Built by Jacob, the homestead dates from about 1689. René and Doris Röthlisberger- Zürcher own the homestead. After lunch at Restaurant Krummholzbad, the group travelled to the Trachselwald Castle where Schürch Anabaptists were imprisoned, including Ulrich Schürch, Code E. Tour members Bob Miller and Tom Sherk were brave enough to try the crude beds and shackles! The bus returned for a final night at Luderenalp with free time to hike, watch the cows and listen one last time to their distinct sounding bells, or pack for a last farewell to Sumiswald.

Monday morning all awoke realizing it was the last full day in Switzerland. Traveling to Bern with a stop at the Burgdorf Castle, which is about 800 years old, all were impressed with the spectacular site looming over the valley. Today the castle is an excellent and well-appointed museum. Finally reaching Bern and checking into the hotel, there was a walking tour of the old city including the Rosengarten and a panoramic view of the Aare River and dock area where the Schürchs, among other Anabaptists, were either voluntarily or forced into exile by river boat. Also viewed was the Bern Cathedral and famous Bear Pit.

An unexpected surprise was made by member Tim Vogt who discovered several Schürch names on a plaque in the Muenster Church listing those who died defending Switzerland during the Napoleonic wars. The plaque became an instant hot spot as members snapped numerous flash photos lighting up the church in ways it has probably never seen!

The closing dinner was held at the Restaurant Kornhauskeller, which was a former grainery in the heart of Bern. Returning to the hotel by tram, there was a short wrap-up meeting followed by a well deserved night of rest. Rising by 4:30 a.m., all were on the bus to Zurich Airport at 5:45 a.m. Final farewells were given to Hildrun and driver Gunther as members checked in and continued to their planes back to North America.

Vilen dank all Swiss cousins, Hildrun and Gunther! Auf Wiedersehen!




Site logo

What's New?

Reunion 2018 - Save the Date!
The next Schürch Reunion is being held in Lewisburg, PA - a location we have not used before.
The dates: July 27 - 29, 2018
Go to Reunions for booking information.

April 2017 Newsletter Excerpts
Go to the Newsletter menu and click on the Newsletter Excerpts link

Reunion 2016 Commemorative Issue on Sale

If you already receive the newsletter, then you should have received this special issue. If you do not have a subscription to the Schürch newsletter, then you can order a copy of this special issue, highlighting the reunion in 2016 in Waterloo, Ontario. Send your order to the correct treasurer and Cary, the editor, will send out a copy.

American Treasurer: Jack Sherick
49 Lovel Court, Apt C Nutley, NJ 07110
Email: sci5teach322@yahoo.com

Canadian Treasurer: Laurine Mills
1750 Killaly St. E., Port Colborne, ON L3K 5V3
Email: estherlmills@aol.com

Newsletter Excerpts online
Go to the Newsletter menu.

Reunion 2016 is Over

Watch for photo updates on this site



Schürch Database is online!

The Schürch family database, in its most current form, is now online at two sites: wc.rootsweb.com/~schurch122615
(This tree, at RootsWeb, is free for all to view.)

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/86535234/family
(For Ancestry.com subscribers)

Updated Booklist on Site

An updated book list is on this site. In the menu across the top, look under Historical Committee, Research Resources, Books related to the Schürch Family


Schürch Photo Gallery is up and Running


For more information about this project go to Photo Gallery Project page in the menu.